As a proud partner of Les Rendez-vous de la Francophonie, Air Canada asked Chef Jérôme Ferrer, member of our team of renowned chefs and contest jury member, to share his homemade cheese recipe in honour of the Kitchen Party Contest.
Good luck in the contest and enjoy Les Rendez-vous de la Francophonie!
Jérôme Ferrer immigrated to Quebec and Canada in 2011. An accomplished executive chef, Ferrer is a member of the Académie Culinaire de France and holds the title of Maître Cuisinier de France.
His gourmet venue in Montreal, Restaurant Jérôme Ferrer par Europea, is also a member of Les Grandes Tables du Monde and has rapidly gained a devoted following in the Canadian fine-dining scene. Certified a Grand Chef in the Relais & Châteaux network, Ferrer also earned a nomination from Trip Advisor in 2018 for Best Restaurant in Canada.
His avant-garde approach to fine cuisine, with its distinctive flair and playful spirit, has attracted celebrity diners from the four corners of the world.
Instant Homemade Fresh Cheese
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for 4 to 6 people:
- 1 litre of milk
- 6 tablespoons of white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Virgin olive oil
- Lemon or lime zest
- Herbes de Provence
- 3 sprigs of chives
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 drops of Carminée (Québec apple cider reduction)
- Muslin, dish towel or cheese cloth
- Bowl or salad bowl
- 500-ml mason jar or serving dish
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the milk until it starts to bubble. Do not boil it, as you don’t want it to overflow. Stir gently with a wooden spatula.
- Once the milk has come to a boil, remove the pot from the heat. Using a whisk, break up the thin film that formed on the surface of the milk. Pour in the vinegar or lemon juice and stir gently for a few seconds. Curds will soon start to form. Let the mixture rest for 2 to 3 minutes in the pot.
- Place the muslin or cheese cloth in the bottom of a strainer and place it on top of an empty container. Pour in the mixture. Using a spoon, press the cheese to drain it well and form a small block. Let the fresh cheese dry for about 2 minutes.
- Season your cheese with a few flakes of sea salt. Add the freshly ground pepper, Herbes de Provence, finely chopped chives and lemon zest.
- Cover the seasonings with olive oil and add a few drops of Carminée.
It will keep in the fridge for about 1 week.